Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mouse Lips!

While I was preparing diner for Gavin's father and stepmother on Boxing Day, I saw Flannel trot out of the bedroom with great purpose. It looked like he had a hairball in his mouth, then I made the connection. As he trotted past Gavin into the kitchen, I warned that Flannel had caught a mouse and that we shouldn't make any noise for fear that Flannel would drop the mouse and it would run to a place where we couldn't retrieve it before his parents arrived.

Flannel spit the mouse out under the wine rack, and the mouse proceeded to run to the food dish in the corner. How apt. Pepper joined in watching what the mouse would do next, but was really too nervous to interfere. Flannel took the mouse back into the bedroom where we managed to trap the mouse in some tupperware. Gavin took him outside and threw it into the woods by the train tracks. Poor mousie looked like he'd been trundled around in a cat's mouth for a while. I hope he got his bearings and found shelter.

Anyway, Flannel is now king of the condo, strutting around and turning his nose up at kibble. Once you've tasted mouse, you can't go back. I told my dad that Flannel was now a member of the He-Man Woman-Hater's Club and he cracked up. Flannel "Mouse Lips" Duggins rules the roost. It's a funny story, but we didn't share it at dinner.

No comments: