Friday, June 13, 2008

12 of 12 June 08

6:32 AM- After working out, I get started on the side dishes for Friday's dinner. My dad and step-mother are in town, and Friday they wll meet GMiller's mother and sister. Because I want to spend time with my dad, and not heat up the house the day of dinner, I planned the meal so that I could make everything ahead.

8:42 AM- I've added Power 90 to my regular workouts, and GMiller is doing the program, too. This gun show courtesy of Beachbody.

10:55AM- My dad called to say that their flight was delayed out of Gulfport, and they missed their connection in Memphis. I'm looking up the phone number of 2941 Restaurant so that I can move our reservation to Friday.



1:55 PM
- Since we had time to kill and no lunch plans, we go to the Burger Joint in Bethesda. I thought it was good for semi-fast food, but I'm not dying to go back. It was crowded with rude children and adults and was so noisy inside, the industrial pile driver outside was rendered silent. If I do go there again, it will be for takeaway. GMiller brings home his extra fries.

4:11 PM- Stuck waiting to go to the airport, we watch Starship Troopers. I've never seen it. I want those two hours of my life back.



6:08 PM- Finally on our way, we hit rush hour traffic in the city going towards Virginia. I know that the airport is RIGHT THERE, over the bridge. Didn't these people get the memo to clear the streets when I have somewhere to be? Jeez!



6:10 PM- I've commented on this before, but it is always striking to me that I live in a city with so many globally recognized icons. The Washington monument dominates the D.C. skyline.



6:42 PM
- The long wait is over and with Pop and Mary in the car, we head back in to the city, discussing where we should eat. Just between us, don't you find an opinion easier to deal with than the "whatever you want" response that guests think is what they have to say to be polite? GMiller and I make a command decision.



7:25 PM- Seated in Colorado Kitchen, GMiller puts on his "do-tell-me-more" face for my step-mother's narration of... I wasn't really listening, so I'm not sure.



10:30 PM- Heading home after getting Pop and Mary settled in their room.



10:24 PM- The brisket for Friday has been sitting in it's rub all day, and now is ready to go in a very low oven to cook overnight. I'm telling you, make ahead is the best!



10:47 PM- Pepper is relieved to have strangers out of the house and puts on cuteness like a comfortable blanket, eliciting much baby-talk and kissy noises from me. He's my adorable scaredy-cat.

1 comment:

Susan said...

wonderful of you to spend so much time and energy preparing food for your guests! hope they think it is better than "whatever."