Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Picked 'em: Why I can't really complain about work anymore


Over the past few months, I've been checking out my options on the job front, as I've mentioned in a previous post. I felt like things were as good as they were going to get at my company for me, and that the things I wanted next just weren't in the cards. So I floated my resume out there, dropped hints, etc. In April, an opportunity falls in my lap. On a friend's recommendation, I get a cold call for an interview. I go, they have some of what I'm looking for... Same sort of work, same BD tool, more responsibility and FLEX TIME. The interview goes well and I get a call for a second interview. Again, the interview goes well.

During this two week time period, I have to do some tall thinking about why I would leave where I am and go somewhere else. I decide not to wrap myself in a knot about it until I get an offer, preferring to be excited about my desirability as a professional. While we're in Williamsburg at the end of March, I get the job. Huge salary increase, work from home 3 days a week (good for raising any small humans in my future)and marketing autonomy. The gnashing of the teeth begins. I talk with GMiller about it. I talk with MY dad about it. I talk with HIS dad about it. I talk with Group about it. I accept the offer. Now comes the hard part; telling my boss I'm leaving. I cry, he's upset, my staff cries... As it turns out, I am valued, trusted and loved at my current company. They don't want me to leave! What will it take for me to stay? After talking to my boss again, we agree to several things, including FLEX TIME. Hooray! All of this in the span of four days.

So I call the new company to decline and they are so MEAN! I could understand being disappointed, but for the love of Mike, my decision is not an indictment of them as human beings! They even got my friend to call me and try to guilt me in to working there. How's that for unprofessional and crappy? They could not have done more to cement my decision to stay with my current company. What a bunch of pus-heads.

Now my work is like a new fiance. We're wedded. We're registered at Target. Just kidding.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't call me for a consult!
: - ( Seriously, congrats, I'm psyched for you!

RachelRed said...

That's true. But, I would like to call you to see when we can have dinner. : )

Heather said...

I'm jealous, I want to have dinner!

Rachel, it's good to be valued! :)