Wednesday, February 13, 2008

12 of 12 February 08



7:41 AM - I was fifth on line at the polls this morning to vote in the "Potomac Primaries". I wore my sticker proudly all day.



1:19 PM
- For lunch I have leftover Lion's Head casserole. The broth was well flavored, but I didn't let the pork chill long enough, nor did I sear the meatballs effectively, so they are a little dry. Good thing the recipe only made four of them. They got eaten despite the lack of savor.



2:36 PM- The view from my office balcony. This is the same office that I was promised prior to the move, then was told that I couldn't occupy, then occupied after four months in another office, and now I have to go back to my old office because the looming specter of "someone more important" has materialized. I hope they die of sunstroke. Then I can have my office back. That's the Masonic Temple in the distance. They have tinfoil dioramas of Moses inside. It's weird.



6:42 PM
- I have an urgent need to examine the hem of my skirt. I feel as if there's been a loose string all day, but find nothing. Maybe Moses is sending me brainwaves from inside the temple... Let my stitches go!



7:12 PM- I am forever in traffic! I can't figure out what the deal is with this sea of stock-still cars, it's just rain! I found out later that it was a gross ice storm that caused all kinds of problems. I can't blame my sheltered perception solely on the fact that I park in a garage at work. Sometimes my head's just not in the game.



7:54 PM- I get through the traffic to arrive at my exercise class. I could not figure out why no one was there. I check the calendar, classes are scheduled. What's the problem? The hot line message says that class is canceled due to the weather. I still think it's only raining, so I'm PISSED, especially since I stayed late at work to take the class.



8:31 PM
- In traffic again, this time closer to home.



8:44 PM- I'm not as conscientious as GMiller at checking the mail, so sometimes there's a lot in the box when he's out of town, and I get my butt up to the mailbox. This is mostly junk that goes right into the bin.



8:48- When I got home there was a Realtor's card on my dining table. I can't even get excited any more. My first thought was "At least they left the place as neat as they found it." Sometimes prospective buyers really trash the place, which is annoying because a) I can't tell who their Realtor was so my Realtor can call and bawl them out, b) It looks like hell when another person comes to see it later in the day, and finally, c) I hate cleaning up after myself and it really toasts my bread to clean up after strangers, too.



9:37- I treat myself to a Sazerac. My new favorite recipe is from the Brennan family of New Orleans, original home to this original cocktail. M-O-O-N, that spells Sazerac.



8:51 PM- This is a letter that should have gone in the bin at the mailbox, but they got me with the HUD logo on the envelope. With all that you hear nowadays about high interest loan holders getting a break, I was momentarily fished in. Of course, they are obligated by law to tell you that they are not affiliated with HUD once you actually read the letter.



10:20 PM- I am tired. You know, the pleasure I get at hogging the bed no longer outweighs the fact that I am lonely when GMiller travels and I'd rather have to share the space and the blankets.

If you are new to 12 of 12 - here are the basics:

1) ALL PHOTOS MUST BE TAKEN ON THE 12TH OF EACH MONTH.

2) After you post your pictures onto a webpage of your choice (Livejournal, typepad, MySpace, Flickr, etc...) please post the TIME, LOCATION, and A SMALL COMMENT in the pic.

3) You own the rights to all of your pictures. The idea "12 of 12" is Chad Darnell's. While credit is not necessary, please don't credit someone else with the idea.

4) The original concept was at least one body part in the picture. That idea was slowly faded away. The important part is that it is 12 pics.

5) The monthly Bonus pic is a 13th picture and is optional.

6) When referring to the project, please refer to it as "12 OF 12" - not "12 ON 12."

7) Once completed, please e-mail or post the PERMALINK of the post AND the city and state or city and country of WHERE THE PICTURES WERE TAKEN. (If you are on vacation, it's where the pics were taken.)

(The permalink is the link to the ENTRY of your page. If you just send me your website, I have to track it down. By listing the permalink, it helps for people to go back and view your previous 12 of 12 entries from previous months.)

ANYONE is welcome to join in, even if you've never done it before! I hope you will.

8 comments:

Dogeared said...

" 'tis but a shower!" (throwback to Monty Python there :-) )

Wusses. Piddly little rain shower causes all that? Pffft.

How long is it now until you and GMiller are married?

Helen (Dogeared)

Scooter said...

Fun pix! Thanks for sharing your day with us! Your comment about Moses had me in stitches. :)

RachelRed said...

GMiller and I will be married mid-October. A friend observed yesterday that this would be my last Valentine's Day as a singleton. That hadn't occurred to me, and certainly gave me pause for thought.

Elaine said...

It is amazing what a little rain can do make people drive like idiots! Thanks for sharing.

Dogeared said...

October's the best month (so says an October baby ;-) ).

I can understand the pause for thought - but now you'll have someone who really wants to show you how much he loves you. And will the next year, and the ones after that - better than a temporary thing :-)

Unknown said...

You look like a million bucks- I'm very impressed by your workout plan. I need to look into this Sazerac stuff. Thanks for a great 12o12. Hugs,Jennica

Anonymous said...

I'm so lame - I took photos for a 12 of 12 but was too pooped to post them, then forgot about them, then didn't have time. Blah.

I liked you post about financial planning!

RachelRed said...

Thanks! The spending plan is a pain in my butt, and worth the aggravation. : )