Monday, February 04, 2008

It's Mardi Gras!

Faithful readers will know that NOLA is my favorite city that I don't live in. I love Mardi Gras, and so does my family. My father and stepmother are active in the Carnival scene in Biloxi, MS and each has been members of the court and even King and Queen of Mardi Gras for local krewes over the years.

Last night I made GMiller's favorite, grillades and grits, for him. The first time he was served this braised meat and gravy dish we were on our inaugural trip to NOLA as a couple, at brunch at Elizabeth's. After the heaven that is praline bacon, this huge Pyrex pie plate full of food is plunked down in front of GMiller. He has a soft spot for anything braised, and made short work of a serving that would have satisfied four with ease. For the past four or so years, I've been trying to make a version that was met with such excitement. I think last night I succeeded. Thanks to NOLA cuisine, the grillades with andouille and cheddar cheese grit cakes were awesome! If you have some time on your hands, make this dish. It takes about 3-4 hours and is so worth it.

I'll also host friends for dinner tomorrow night. Our menu will be:
Shrimp remoulade
Chicken and Tasso jambalaya
Banana caramel coconut cream pie with dark rum
Gin and tonic
Sazeracs
Abita Mardi Gras bock

My dad sent me a huge box full of decorations, so the place is looking festive with green, gold and purple beads, streamers, doubloons and garland. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Seamstress ideas: call Jcrew and ask who does their stuff. They send it out, often. The lady who does my stuff in SF is fan-freaking-tastic. Also, see if the Nordstrom tailor is available for freelancing? Maybe? The lady I had in Delaware was SUPER annoying. And well, it was in Delaware.