Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Quality of One's Company

I went to one of the restaurants in my frequent lunch rotation today. This restaurant is part of a well run partnership in Virginia with several other interests in the area, and recently acquired a noted chef from another establishment. The chef has made many changes to the menu and tried to raise the profile of the joint by doing "pairings" with beer and apps, etc.

Since he took over, I'm not so excited about the food. It's okay, but not on a par with the meals I was having before he took over, yet I eat at the restaurant about two or three times a month. Mediocre food; why would I put up with that? The bartender. He is so warm, so affable that he makes lunch at the bar a real pleasure. Today, he wasn't there and I read the newspaper while eating a pasta dish that would have tasted better from my own kitchen. I thought as I ate that the quality of one's company can make all the difference between a good meal and a great one.

No comments: