Tuesday, May 22, 2007

It Makes You Wish There Were More Than 24 Hours In The Day



So here we are in Sin City. I was here for a work conference and GMiller was able to join me for a few days. We stayed at the Venetian, which was great. I recommend it highly.



There are very few remaining traces of old Las Vegas. I bet this store is one of them. It looks pretty old school. We didn't go in.



After a short walk on the Strip, we take the covered bridge back to the hotel. You can see over GMiller's shoulder that Wayne Brady is playing at our hotel. You know, white people like Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X. The only show we saw in Vegas was Blue Man Group. It was like nothing I've ever seen before. Really interesting.



At the LV Natural History museum, we get to experience what life is like for the people of the African Cardboard Hut tribe. I think the goatskins are probably real. They also had a stuffed lynx in the children's area. Not a toy lynx, a real taxidermied lynx. Most of the fur and skin had been rubbed off one of its hind feet and you could see the wooden beetle that made up the underlying structure. That was unsettling.



Dale Chihuly is one of my favorite artists. He did the ceiling at the Bellagio and has several other installations in the hotel. We were hoping to see the Ansel Adams exhibit there, but it was closed due to another exhibit being installed. It was interesting to see the hotel public spaces and compare to where we were staying. As I said, the Venetian was definitely better.



This picture is a shout out to my friend Heather B. Even the mermaids in Vegas have plastic racks! Amazing.



This picture represents the only gambling I did. I spent $8 on the Star Wars slots, and when betting on Obi Wan to win in a fight against Darth Vader, won $107. I'm a happy miser!

No comments: