Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What Died In Here? When Thanksgiving Goes Really Wrong.


Last year about this time, I blogged about how much emotional resonance this holiday has for me. My family cares about food, how it's prepared, how it looks and how it tastes. Based on my experience away from the family table, we are in the minority.

I really hate spending holidays with strangers, eating their traditions, many of which come from a jar or a can. Smiling through dry turkey, or turkey that smells and tastes like a wet dog, cold mashed potato glue, gross undercooked stuffing that they spoon right out of the bird's butt teeming with more salmonella than you could get from licking a turtle. You have to smile and eat it all. Nothing seasoned, everything bland...Calgon, take me away!

I am thankful that last year I ate with friends who were excellent cooks and this year, I'm eating with my dad and his wife. A family meal at last! I really hope that next year I will get to play the newlywed card and have T-day at my house. No bird butt stuffing at table, I can tell you that!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hope it's happy (and savory!)!