Friday, January 09, 2009

An Unsurprising New Year's Resolution

I'll bet you won't guess what my goal is for the first part of 2009... That's right, it's FITNESS! Not just physical fitness, though. There are some things I want to find out like why do I fall asleep whenever I sit on the couch for longer than half an hour? GMiller used to put that down to the twice a day workouts and 14 hour days, but since we got back from Scotland, both of those things took a hiatus, and still I'm worse than the doormouse from Alice in Wonderland. So I don't think it's those things.

I also used to assume that my tiredness was a function of my depression; the general ennui that comes from out of whack chemicals and brain dents like I've got. I've been faithful to my supplement routine for nearly a year, and think that the gross symptoms of my depression have lessened significantly. I feel okay to pretty good most of the time. Now I'm wondering whether there isn't a metabolism component in play. I noticed, during the intense workouts period, that whether I ate a rich diet or a lean one (always striving for appropriate portion control) that I didn't loose much fat. I gained strength, flexibility and endurance, but the fat was still there, on top of the muscle to the point that it literally looked as if I had put on a fat suit, it was that obviously not going anywhere.

So, while re-introducing more exercise and portion control in to my routine, I'm also going to begin talking to my doctors. I really hate the idea of becoming reliant on pharmaceuticals to make my body work right, but I guess it's inevitable for all of us.

No comments: